WINDHAM, NH -- A Twitter threat originally thought to have been directed at the Windham, CT school district was actually meant for Windham, NH, according to an alert sent to parents by the school superintendent.
Dr. Henry LaBranche said in his alert that at 9:20 p.m. he was informed of a letter generated by the principal of a school in Willimantic, CT:
The letter explains that a tweeted threat, originally thought to be directed at their district, which is the Windham, CT school district, was not intended for them but for Windham, NH. Further the letter indicated that the matter had been referred to the NH State Police.
LaBranche confirmed in the alert that after contacting Windham Police, N.H. he learned that State Police were actually not informed until the Windham department did so earlier this evening.
The FBI has also been informed of the situation, and the investigation is ongoing.
The nature of the tweeted threat was not disclosed in the alert from LaBranche.
To prepare for Friday, which is exactly one week since the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy took place in Newtown, CT, LaBranche said that he has directed that there be a police detail at each school for the entire day.
"In addition, the department will continue the rolling patrols and will have an enhanced presence at all schools tomorrow," he said. "As I receive additional information it will be shared with parents."
This is the second scare that Windham has seen this week.
On Monday, Windham High was forced into a 25-minute lockdown after an administrator heard a loud bang in the main lobby.